Sofia is the Bulgarian capital since April 3, 1879. Its current center is built above a city called Serdica and over time they have been discovering more and more interesting remains of this ancient Roman city. It is a European capital and as such offers a lot to live and a lot to see.
It is located in a valley, but to the south it has the Vitosha mountain that embellishes all the sunsets at the end of the day. The local people are nice and polite, but without forgetting that we are in Eastern Europe and that our way of being kind is a little different from the countries of central Europe.
- Beware of taxi fares in Sofia
- Have a breakfast in the local bakeries
- Sofia is one of the safest capitals in the world
- Rent a bicycle and enjoy the city
The daily budget is between 20 and 40€ per person depending on everyone needs.
- The use of metro is not necessary and not primordial
- The trams Nº4, 10, 12, 18, 20, 22 offer interesting routes
- The bus Nº63 is great for visiting Vitosha mountain
There are 3 tourism offices in the center of Sofia
- The main entrance of the metro station Sofia University
- The main entrance of the metro station Serdica
- In the garden of the National Theatre and it is called Chitalnyata.
What to see
We have selected some of the most popular places.
Discover the most unpopular places around Sofia
Audio guide for Sofia
Audio Guide Bulgaria has a tour of the most emblematic places in the center of Sofia. If you want to go at your own pace and want to know more about the history of the city, check this out.
Check prices and availability on their website.
Day trip recommendation
Sofia is very beautiful and there is much to see both in the city and in its surroundings. Still, one must consider if he wants to know more about the culture and people of the country.
This is where we recommend you to visit some of the places that are only about two hours away from Sofia. In some of the places you can reach both by train and bus.
We still do not offer these services so if you are looking for something organized, please contact us.