Bulgaria is a country that has a long history and holds many mysteries. Although it’s not that popular there is certainly what to learn and see. Here are 40 interesting facts about Bulgaria that you maybe didn’t know:
1. Bulgaria is one of the oldest European countries established in 681 AD.
2. Since then Bulgaria is the only one who hasn’t change its name.
3. Bulgaria ranks third in Europe for the number of its valuable archeological monuments after Italy and Greece.
4. Alexander Nevski is the oldest autocephalous Slavic orthodox church in the world.
5. The Bulgarian army has never lost a single flag in battle.
6. The Cyrillic alphabet was invented by two Bulgarian monks – Cyril and Methodius back in 9th century.
7. The Cyrillic alphabet became the third official alphabet of the EU after the accession of Bulgaria to the EU on January 1, 2007.
8. In Bulgaria was founded the oldest golden treasure. (3000 gold objects dating back more than 6000 tears)
9. The ancient Bulgarian calendar was declared as the most accurate in the world by UNESCO in 1976.
10. Plovdiv is Europe’s oldest inhabited city.
11. The Bulgarian folk song “Izlel e Delyu Haydutin” was sent in space on the board of the US Space Probe Voyager
12. Almost one-third of Bulgaria is cover in forests.
13. The Bulgarian Air Force developed the first air-dropped bomb in military history. That was during the First Balkan War, the bomb was used on 16 October 1912.
14. The first woman in the world who participated in a military flight was the Bulgarian Rayna Kasabova.
15. The highest peak on the Balkan Peninsula is Musala peak. It’s located in Rila Mountain, Bulgaria, rising at 2925m above the sea level.
16. Bulgaria was the home of the Thracians, the certain hero called Spartacus was born in Bulgaria.
17. Bulgaria produced as much as 85% of the world’s rose oil. The roses are grown in Bulgaria’s Rose Valley (Kazanlak) are an essential ingredient in the perfumes production.
18. The bagpipe (known as ‘’gaida’’ in Bulgaria) is a traditional Bulgarian instrument. The other nations that use the bagpipe as an instrument are Ireland and Scotland.
19. Bulgarian yogurt is the best in the world, trust me. The Lactobacillus bulgaricus, which gives the unique taste of yogurt can be found only in Bulgaria.
20. Bulgaria is the second country in Europe with the highest number of natural mineral springs. Bulgaria is heaven for SPA.
21. Bulgarians nod for no and shake their heads for yes.
22. ‘’Name Days’’ are celebrated in addition to birthdays and even more valued by some people.
23. Bulgarian welcome the spring with Baba Marta. Every year on 1 March Bulgarian give a Martenitsa ( white and red bracelets) to each of their friends to congratulate them on the beginning of the spring and for health. The Martenitsa is wearing until you see a stork or a blossoming tree.
24. Bulgarians are spilling water in front of the door for success. When a member of the family leaves home for a special event like the first day of school, prom, before an exam, at weddings, etc. the other members of the family are spilling water in front of the door before he leaves with the word ‘’may your success flows like water’’.
25. Bulgarian celebrating Trifon Zarezan instead of Valentine’s Day. 14 February is a Wine-growers Day and people celebrate the love for wine.
26. World’s first digital wristwatch was developed by the Bulgarian, Peter Petroff.
27. The first electronic computer was invented by John Vincent Atanasoff who has a Bulgarian origin.
28. The Bulgarian national football team finished fourth in the 1994 World Cup.
29. The Bulgarian Dan Kolov is the first wrestler in the world with 1500 wins and 2 lost matches.
30. For 29 years so far no woman has managed to beat the record of the Bulgarian Stefka Kostadinova for the high jump of the World Championships in Rome with sensational 2.09 meters.
31. Bulgaria is one of the biggest wine exporting countries in the world. Wine production has a long history dating back to Thracian times.
32. Bulgaria ranks third in Europe in biodiversity, with a number of rare and endemic species.
33. The Bulgarian flag consists three colors: white, green and red, laid horizontally from top to bottom. The white is a symbol of hope, the green is a symbol for the wonderful nature, and the red is a symbol of the blood soaked into our lands.
34. For more than 700 years, Bulgaria was twice its current size, reaching three seas – the Aegean, Adriatic and Black sea.
35. There are 142 resorts in Bulgaria – 26 marine resorts, 56 mountain resorts, and 58 balneological resorts.
36. There are 9 UNESCO sites in Bulgaria. 7 cultural sites (Rila Monastery, Boyana Church, Ancient City of Nessebar, Thracian Tomb of Kazanlak, Madara Rider and the Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo) and 2 natural sites (Pirin National Park and Srebarna Nature Reserve).
37. Bulgaria has the world’s largest IMAX 3D cinema.
38. Bulgaria has one of the fastest internets in Europe.
39. Sofia is one of the most affordable European capitals to visit.
40. Bulgarian women have been ranked among the most beautiful in the world. (lucky mans)
Photo Credit: www.andrey-andreev.com
41. Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria is situated just 15 minutes away from Vitosha Mountain.
Did you know another facts about Bulgaria ? Share more facts with us!