The National Archaeological Institute with Museum at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences covers the complete study of the culture of tribes and peoples who have occupied present day Bulgaria from the remote past until the 18th century. NAIM-BAS is a national center and coordinator of all field research in Bulgaria and exercises scholarly and methodological control on it. The Museum of Archaeology hosts the most numerous collections in Bulgaria and its exhibitions reveal it as one of the most important centers in the country for promotion of the cultural heritage of present day Bulgaria. Its academic and museum potential turns NAIM-BAS into the biggest research archaeological unit in southeast Europe. NAIM-BAS was established in 1949 as a follower and successor of the Department of Valuables - part of the Library established in Sofia in 1878-1879 and reformed into a National Museum in 1892 - and the Bulgarian Institute of Archaeology (1921), which was the first academic institute in Bulgaria.
The National Museum of History in Sofia is one of the largest history museums on the Balkans with 650.000 items and the largest archaeological and historical archive. The Museum’s collections are its greatest treasure. They comprise materials from Prehistoric ages till our days.
- Uniforms and civil clothes and accessories
- Traditional clothes
- Every day textiles
- Church, applied and fine arts
- Documents from the National Revival
- Documents from the period 1887 – 1944
- Documents from the modern history of Bulgaria
- Photos from the National Revival
- Photos from the period between 1878 and 1944
- Every day items
- Periodicals from the period between 1878 and 1944
- Periodicals from the modern history of Bulgaria
- Printed materials
- Manufacture samples
- Fine and applied arts
- Cinema – photo – phono
- Paleolithic, Neolithic, Chalcolithic
- Bronze age
- Early Iron Age
- Late Iron Age
- Roman Age
- Late Antiquity
- Middle Ages 7–9 century
- Middle Ages 10–12 century
- Middle Ages 13–14 century
- Late Middle Ages 15–17 century
- Pectorals and others adornments
- Early printed materials in foreign languages
- Heraldry, sphragistics
The museum’s collection features works of socialist painting, sculpture, and propaganda, many from eminent artists of the day. Subjects include native communist leaders such as Bulgaria’s first communist leader Georgy Dimitrov and its long-ruling dictator Todor Zhivkov, as well as international communist figures like Vladimir Lenin.
The National Military History Museum is a museum dedicated to military history in Sofia, Bulgaria. A structure of the Ministry of Defence, it has existed under various names and subordinate to various institutions since 1 August 1914 (in practice since 4 July 1916). It disposes of 5,000 m² of indoor and 40,000 m² outdoor (of which 500 m² covered) exhibition area, a library and a computer centre.
Plovdiv Regional Ethnographic museum is the second largest specialized museum of this type in Bulgaria. It is an acknowledged scientific-educational institution and an attractive center for cultural tourism. The museum was established in 1917 and since 1938 it has been located in Kuyumdzhieva house, a cultural monument of national significance. Plovdiv Regional Ethnographic museum provides coordinative, qualification and expert-consulting activities for all museums and collections of artifacts with ethnographic character on the territory of Plovdiv and the region. In addition, the museum lends its methodical support to the municipal and private museums.
The Regional Archaeological Museum in Plovdiv, Bulgaria (RAM – Plovdiv) is one of the first Bulgarian cultural institutions, officially opened in 1882. Originally set up as an archaeological and numismatic office, it gradually earned the status of Archaeological Museum during the 1920s.Its funds initially consisted of a numismatic collection of 1,500 coins, ethnographic and historical documents, church plates, and incunabula from the VIII - XVII c., as well as 300 icons and paintings by some of the most famous Bulgarian painters Stanislav Dospevski, Ivan Lazarov, Tzanko Lavrenov, Nikolay Rainov, Zlatju Boiadjiev, and many others.
The building comprises of a basement area and two floors. It nearly forms a complete square and includes a spacious inner yard. Some of the rooms and the corridors are decorated with wall paintings. A continuous corridor runs throughout the whole building, leading to the exhibition rooms.The exhibition area of the Museum is 2150 sq. m, not including the storerooms, the library and the Educational Children’s Museum.
The beginning of the Naval museum is laid in the Danube city of Russe in 1883.In the same city in 1879 was created the military fleet of the newly liberated Bulgarian Principality. The first document about the museum is the report of the Captain Lieutenant Zinovi Rozhestvenski – commander of the Danube fleet, to the Defense Minister from 12 (24) October 1883.It was announced in that it has already started the collecting of antiquities and the Naval museum was in “germ”. Together with the newly created library the museum will contribute for the “formation of the adequate circles” in the Fleet. In 1885 for curator of the museum maritime collection was named the engineer Pavel Kuzminski. The first exponents are mostly models of armaments and technical appliances. From that time there is a preserved personal arms and belongings.
Multimedia visitor centre “Tsarevgrad Tarnov” is located near Tsarevets hill. Notable sculptures and paintings present historical figures and events of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. It recreates lives of different social layer in medieval bulgarian society – monarchs, clergy, boyars and warriors, craftsmen.
Visitors will experience the rich history of Tsarevgrad as a symbol of royalty, glory and spiritual power. Monday 12:30 - 18:30Tuesday - Sunday 9:30 - 18:30